Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It was all a dream

WARNING: There will be spoilers in this post for the season finale that aired on 5-11-2009. This is your only warning!

Alright, I'm going to start by saying I don't hate the way the episode was written or executed. By House standards, that was pretty amazing in and of itself.

I also want to say that this is probably one of the only shows I watch where I just don't care about the pairings other than Amber and Wilson. THAT I loved. I think that my aversion to the pairings on this show is due to how absolutely rabid the fandom is when it comes to Huddy, Wilson/House, Hameron and whatever else you have that I just never got into it. I don't really care one way or another if House is with Cuddy or if in the last episode ever Wilson and House reveal they've been boning the entire time. It doesn't make me enjoy the show any more or any less.

Here's what I really am not liking: We have DONE the hallucinations. Not once to end and/or start a season. Not twice. But now THREE TIMES. I love Amber and Kutner and I'm glad that gives them an excuse to be back but could we PLEASE have something that hasn't been done before? Maybe that's the problem with this show: everything starts to feel like it's been done. I liked the direction of House and Cuddy and while I feel 'eh' about them being together one way or another, I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that there was no way the writers were going to give the fans of that pairing such an easy fix. However I do find it rude that David Shore would proclaim that it would finally happen only to take it all back. On the flip side of that, now everyone knows how House really feels about Cuddy and what kind of man he wants to be for her (?) so there is that.

Maybe the hallucination thing would have felt better to me if it hadn't been the season closer. Because for some reason this just didn't feel like a finale to me. By the end of the episode I wasn't on the edge of my seat and at the end I wasn't wailing 'OH GOD I HAVE TO WAIT HOW LONG FOR A NEW EPISODE???' which is disappointing to me.

I feel very, very alone in this conclusion. Everyone I know in real life, everyone on the internet - everyone seemed to love it except for me. It's true that you can't please everyone but I don't understand why I was so adverse to this episode. I wish that I weren't, but maybe this is a sign that my instincts to leave the show alone for good were right back at the beginning of the season. Did I listen? No. I watched, and I'll probably do it again in the fall.

I'm pretty sure that by the time this show is said and done, we'll be finding out that some kid in Africa hallucinated the whole damn thing.

1 comment:

Katie said...

That's a really good point about pairings on the show. I do tend to enjoy them, but the reactions on the internet turn me off. I don't think the show is awful because *insert pairing* is either together or not together!

I still haven't seen the episode (and probably won't for a while), but I agree with the sentiment. They really have gone overboard on the hallucinations.